FAQs about Dental Implants
Are you in need of a dental implant?
Dental implants are not just a restorative procedure that can beautify your smile, but it's vital for providing your jawbone with the necessary strength. Your dentist in Batavia, IL, John C. Koechley, D.D.S., is here to help and advise you!
Frequently Asked Questions About Dental Implants:
1. What's a dental implant?
If you're suffering from tooth loss, it's vital to deal with this problem as soon as possible. Tooth loss can lead to the deterioration of your jawbone without the support it needs.
2. What does the process involve?
- A local anesthetic is applied to the area that will undergo the procedure.
- Your dentist will place a titanium post into the jawbone. The titanium post acts as the new tooth root and is biocompatible, so there is no worry of tissue rejection.
- The doctor will then surgically close the area and allow it to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months, while the process of osseointegration takes its full course.
- When you return, your Batavia dentist will re-open the area, insert an abutment and place a crown over the abutment that matches the rest of your teeth.
3. What are the advantages of dental implants?
- Implants can have a high success rate, reaching 95 percent, compared to other dental restorations.
- They can last a lifetime if cared for properly.
- They don't slip out of place like dentures, which makes them comfortable and practical.
- They provide your jawbone with the support it needs so that it doesn't shrink.
- They are used to fill a single gap in your teeth, a few gaps, or all of your teeth.
- Dental implants look natural and can give you a beautiful smile.
- You won't have to worry about being able to bite into and chew your favorite foods.
If you have questions or concerns, John C. Koechley, D.D.S. can help you out. Call his office, located in Batavia, IL, at (630) 406-9441 to make an appoint today!