Posts for tag: restorative dentistry
Dental technology has made great strides in recent years and made correcting numerous dental procedures, including those to replace your missing teeth, easier, faster, and less invasive than ever. Dental implants, which replace a missing tooth and its root, can benefit your smile in more ways than one. Find out more about closing the gaps in your smile with dental implants with John C. Koechley, D.D.S., in Batavia, IL.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants help you replace your missing teeth permanently and without having to add any specialized steps to your oral care routine. The implant lies within the jawbone under your missing tooth. As the bone heals, it grows around the implant to secure it in place and integrate it into your natural smile. The versatility and natural look of dental implants make filling the gaps in your smile easier than ever. Implants feel, function, and look just like your natural teeth and require only a few dental appointments to complete.
Can dental implants help my smile?
A good candidate for dental implants has one or more missing teeth and wishes their smile was full once again. Missing teeth cause the bone underneath them to degrade, a process called bone atrophy, which causes bone loss in those areas. Good candidates should have minimal bone atrophy and enough healthy bone to support their implant. A strong at-home oral care routine is also necessary to keep the implant and natural teeth clean and healthy. This routine should consist of brushing thoroughly twice daily and flossing between each tooth at least once.
Types of Dental Implants available in Batavia, IL
Dental implants can replace a single tooth, several teeth in a row, or all of the teeth on an arch. They stand alone, meaning your dentist can place them without requiring the help of the surrounding natural teeth. Your dentist replaces a single tooth using one implant and one prosthetic placed on top. Several teeth in a row benefit from a dental bridge held in place by two implants on either side. Patients requiring a denture to replace all or most of the teeth on an arch can rely on four or more implants throughout the arch to hold the denture in place permanently.
For more information on dental implants, please contact John C. Koechley, D.D.S., in Batavia, IL. Call (630) 406-9441 to schedule your appointment today!
Are you in need of a dental implant?
Dental implants are not just a restorative procedure that can beautify your smile, but it's vital for providing your jawbone with the necessary strength. Your dentist in Batavia, IL, John C. Koechley, D.D.S., is here to help and advise you!
Frequently Asked Questions About Dental Implants:
1. What's a dental implant?
If you're suffering from tooth loss, it's vital to deal with this problem as soon as possible. Tooth loss can lead to the deterioration of your jawbone without the support it needs.
2. What does the process involve?
- A local anesthetic is applied to the area that will undergo the procedure.
- Your dentist will place a titanium post into the jawbone. The titanium post acts as the new tooth root and is biocompatible, so there is no worry of tissue rejection.
- The doctor will then surgically close the area and allow it to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months, while the process of osseointegration takes its full course.
- When you return, your Batavia dentist will re-open the area, insert an abutment and place a crown over the abutment that matches the rest of your teeth.
3. What are the advantages of dental implants?
- Implants can have a high success rate, reaching 95 percent, compared to other dental restorations.
- They can last a lifetime if cared for properly.
- They don't slip out of place like dentures, which makes them comfortable and practical.
- They provide your jawbone with the support it needs so that it doesn't shrink.
- They are used to fill a single gap in your teeth, a few gaps, or all of your teeth.
- Dental implants look natural and can give you a beautiful smile.
- You won't have to worry about being able to bite into and chew your favorite foods.
If you have questions or concerns, John C. Koechley, D.D.S. can help you out. Call his office, located in Batavia, IL, at (630) 406-9441 to make an appoint today!
Discover more about these common restorations and how they might be able to help your smile.
No one wants to deal with a damaged smile and yet it happens more than you might think. Perhaps you were out on the field playing football and the wrong tackle knocked out your tooth or you bit down on something crunchy just to find a piece of your tooth had chipped off. If you are dealing with damaged or missing teeth then our Batavia, IL, dentist, John C. Koechley, D.D.S., might just have a solution.
Should I get a dental crown?
A dental crown, sometimes referred to as a cap, is custom made to fit over a tooth to make a weak or damaged tooth strong again. Just like a real tooth, a dental crown is designed to look just like a natural crown. Crowns can be made from everything from porcelain to ceramic to metal. The type of material our Batavia cosmetic dentist chooses will depend on many factors including expense, aesthetics and which tooth needs a dental crown.
A dental crown might be a good restoration for you if:
- You have a weak tooth
- Your tooth has become damaged by decay, infection or an injury
- Your tooth is severely malformed, misshapen or discolored
- You need to support a traditional dental bridge
- You are replacing a single missing tooth with a dental implant
Is a dental bridge a better option for me?
If you are suffering from tooth loss and not a damaged or weak tooth then a dental bridge will probably be a better fit based on your needs. We do offer many ways to replace a missing tooth or teeth, but dental bridges are often appealing because treatment is quick, easy and painless, and it will prevent the rest of your natural teeth from shifting out of alignment.
If you are getting a traditional dental bridge we will need to prepare a tooth on both sides of the gap so that they support dental crowns. These dental crowns will then be cemented to the artificial tooth or teeth—which lie between the crowns—to fill the gap.
Are you ready to learn more about getting dental crowns and bridges in Batavia, IL? If so, then schedule a consultation with us to find out if you are right for either of these treatments.